I can tell you how difficult and frustrating it is when you decide to share that super recipe of yours. Maybe you need a little help in starting a food blog of tasty homemade recipes to delight your customers and friends but have no idea how to start it.
You might be thinking of becoming a more successful food blogger or starting a cooking blog, and you need access to the right information. Not to worry, this article is written with you in mind to give you the step-by-step guide to kickstarting your own food blog for a taste of recipes. Technical or not technical, be sure to get rid of all the difficulties after you’ve digested and put to use all of the tips as they will be given below.
Taste of Home Recipes Food Blogging Tips:
I want to believe that you have been doing some research on food blogging. It is most likely that one of your searches redirected you to this page. In the process of your research, I want to believe that you discovered that there are a million food blogging influencers. A food blogger influencer is definitely making life and cool money out of blogging about foods-lots of taste of home recipes.
Food and cooking are broad. There are a lot of cuisines, cultures, and varying reasons for eating. The first step to take is to “find your niche as a foodie”.
Step 1-Find your Niche as a Foodie.
Foods vary in a lot of ways. From common foods to uncommon ones, junk to healthy, austere or decadent, traditional to modern, fresh to stale, what have we? A popular saying has it that ” one man’s food is another man’s poison”. It is what it is. If I do not like to feed on junk, I can’t successfully operate a foodie niche that has me stuck on creating junk. It will end as soon as it starts. It will be better for me to have my niche in the kind of food I love to cook or eat.
You should not begin your publishing process without having selected a niche for your food blog. No!Do not let the cart out before the horse. Identifying your foodie niche will set your blog apart from the existing ones. So now, what is a foodie niche?
A niche, simply put, is the focus of your blog. That’s one thing your blog will be known for and identified for. In like manner, your foodie niche is what kind of food will be the focus of your blog. If I love to cook Chinese cuisine, I can have my food blog of home recipes focused on “Chinese Cuisine”, or if I like to cook in large batches, I can have my food blog niche be “Large batch cooking”. So it means, that whichever choice I make from the two options above, it is what I will be known for in the world of food blogging.
Another helpful tip in choosing a foodie niche is to consider what type of audience you would like to reach with your food blog. Is it the young or old? Men or women? It answers the question, “Whom will my cooking appeal to the most?”
The Importance of Choosing a “Foodie” Niche for your Food Blog
I bet at this point you have a few ideas already established in your head as to the importance of a foodie niche. Being an unloved and unseen food blogger is the last thing you want to become. Getting your niche defined will help you to:
- Keep your content better organized—for example, if your niche is defined by having the elderly flock to your website.You know that your audience will need you to organize your content to meet their needs, wants, or habits.
- This will enable you to obtain useful information about your online audience. Researching who they are and what they want well ahead of time will get you an expert. It will also get your blog to the level at which it gains your audience’s trust and credibility.
- Get traffic to your blog with search engine optimization – If you understand your niche well and know what is expected of you, you will have a good understanding of the keywords in your niche. Having a good understanding of the keywords in your niche means you will be able to make good use of the keywords in your content. This has no immediate results other than getting traffic to your blog site, and in no time you will have been able to grow your influence in the niche.
Step 2-Select a Good Blog Name
Selecting a good and catchy blog name is a good way to attract target readers to your blog site.
A blog name gives information about what your food blog is all about, your company, your food recipes, and more in a very short period of time. Your blog name is also known as a domain name. Buying your domain name is very essential as it makes your blog name stand out and belong to you. We will get into the details in a few lines away from here.
Picking a blog name might be tricky and difficult as it must be unique among other blog names. You don’t have to worry. Below are tips to choose your blog name.
- Choose a short, easy-to-remember, easy-to-spell, and easy-to-pronounce blog name. This makes it easy for your target readers to find and locate your food blog. Your readers should be able to remember your blog name easily. Not a lot of people have the talent for remembering long blog names. Some people even find it hard to pronounce long names or spell them correctly, and that might reduce the interest of your target readers.
- Use your name or your nickname for better clarity in your blog. Reflect on your target readers’ interests and what catches their attention. A blog name should be able to reflect the needs of your target audience and satisfy their wants before getting it on the web.
Maybe you have gotten a name for your food blog (which is better) or maybe you are yet to decide on what name to give your food blog. Don’t worry about it too much. You can always come back with a good blog name later.
You are ready to have your food blog online and you will be learning how. Your food blog needs to be processed online. The next steps to take are the ones to resolve the technical problems. I’m sure you know that creating and cooking recipes is just a part of the process.
Step 3-Select a Blogging Platform
It’s a hard decision to make when choosing a blogging platform since there are a lot of blogging platforms nowadays. Below is the list of blogging platforms you can choose from to start food blogging.
Do you know what exactly we want in a good blogging platform? It’s easy to set up, has a learning curve, and doesn’t require any coding skills.
It’s very essential to think of the future while deciding which food blogging platform to start with; a good blogging platform that gives room for the growth of the blog. As the blog grows, you may want to change the appearance of your site and add more contexts to your growing audience, particularly new awe-inspiring recipes.
Making the mistake of starting with the wrong blogging platform can become a nightmare when switching on later. And you must understand your area of specialization, i.e., your niche, as in step 1 above.
Here we are dealing with food blogging. Our focus now is on a platform that promotes food blogging, is flexible and has room to grow and expand. This brings us to the WordPress blogging platform.
WordPress is an established and versatile publishing platform that’s been around for almost two decades and now hosts more than 34% of all websites on the Internet. WordPress is used by 95% of food bloggers.
WordPress.org is a free, open-source blogging platform that allows you to build your website or blog within minutes. It’s obvious to this degree that WordPress is the best food blogging platform you can find on the internet.
A positive review came because of the WordPress blogging platform.
- of its ease of use.
- of its regular improvement and development.
- It does not restrict the user in any way with its unending customization features.
- The basic installation is at zero cost (free).
- Because of the abundance of free or low-cost themes and plugins
Step 4-Choose a Domain
Your domain name is the same as your food blog name. But why is it so important, you wonder? Well! Because your domain name is to your blog site what your eyes are to your body.
Your domain name will not only reflect your brand and niche, but it will also stand as the “online” address by which you direct traffic—friends (supporters of your brand) and enemies (your brand competitors coming to check out the competition)—to your blog homepage.
A domain name is a user-friendly and easy-to-remember part of the URL address that the internet uses in locating a website on the internet. They are most often referred to as a “web address”. Choosing your domain name won’t be hard if you follow the tips highlighted below.
- Keep it simple and short while avoiding confusing spelling.
- Incorporate keywords into your food niche.
- Do a domain name search to check if your domain name choice has not already been taken and in use by someone else.
Get .COM for just $6.98 at Namecheap
Step 5-Select a WordPress Hosting Platform
To house your server on the web, you need a web host. A web host is in the space. Round the clock, it is always connected and available. The web hosting that will best support the WordPress blogging platform and that will get you a good review should be your choice.
A not-too-good or not-well-supported host will not cause your site to be available round the clock. Your site can go offline, and your audience trying to check your site at that moment will get error messages in place of your blog homepage. Do you know what this can cause? It can cause you to lose your audience and subscriber base, and it could also make you appear less visible in visibility searches. Below are some of the top considerations for choosing a hosting platform.
For the sake of this article, we will be considering Bluehost as the hosting platform.
Navigating through the Bluehost hosting platform
- Choose a Plan: As regards the plan to choose on the Bluehost platform, I suggest selecting the “Choice Plus” plan because this plan comes with a lot of beneficial features One of them is Domain Privacy, which will protect your private information, such as your full name, phone number, email address, home address, and email address, from being publicly disclosed anywhere online as the owner of your new food blog. Bluehost will be able to protect that information on your behalf on the “Choice Plus” plan.
- Pick a domain name on Bluehost. You’ll have to type in the food blog domain name you want to register with, e.g., (yumyumdonuts.com). Most of the time, your blog domain name of choice might not be vacant. You can either try another idea that comes to your head. And you can select the option to choose your domain name later.
Then, after ensuring your food blog’s domain name, or maybe you decide to select it later, you’ll be taken to the final step—creating your account.
- Create an account with Bluehost. The first thing you should start with is filling in your account details like your name, address, and email address. After the completion of the form on this page, you’ll take the next step.
- Select the right hosting package for yourself. At this juncture, you’ll choose an account plan based on the price you want to shut in and how far in progress you’ll pay for today.
Choose The Right Hosting Now With Bluehost
The choices BlueHost proposes you pay 1, 2, or 5 years upfront. They don’t offer a monthly payment plan (monthly payments tend to charge more, and that’s the main reason why most hosting companies offer it). The price constantly comes out to be a good deal for getting your food blog online, with whichever plan you choose.
- Input your billing information in the space provided and check the box that says you agree to Bluehost’s terms of service, then submit.
With that final step, you’ve finalized the first primary step of how to start a food blog.
Step 5-Make use of WordPress Plugins to add functions and features to your site.
Giving your readers a wonderful user experience and also making your food blog outstanding is the key to attaining success when you start a food blog.
I will now take you through a few several sections of free resources to utilize in developing your food blog.
- WordPress Plugins: A plugin is a little portion of software that can be added to your food blog in order to add new gadgets and enhance how it works without writing any code. There are loads of free and paid plugins to choose from. Have fun enhancing your blog page with them.
- A content management system (CMS)—also known as a blogging platform—allows you to publish recipes and reviews on your food blog, write blog posts, and share images.
- It will function as your food blog’s behind-the-scenes “template” that controls the pictorial format, glare, and feel of everything on your food blog.
When newcomers arrive on your food blog, it’s normal for them to have questions about your food blog. They will always want to try new and special blogs. They will frequently admire how unique your food blog is compared to other food blogs. So, take your time creating pages and posts. Examples of pages that you will need to create are your homepage, an “about you” page, a contact page, and an online store page.
Step 6-Start Writing and Publishing using keywords in your niche
Best practices are required to thrive in the content you deliver on your page. Follow the tips below.
- Get a good understanding of your niche, then communicate it well to your audience.
- Put your audience’s interest above any other interest that may exist.
- Create a great, mouth-watering, and compelling first post. Do you know what they say about first impressions?
- Create visually appealing recipes and recipe images.
- Remember to include a “call to action” at the end of every post.
You Want To Read This: How to Create A Passive Income Blog with Google Adsense.
How to Monetize Your Food Blog
You need to consistently invest your time and effort into your food blog to make money through it. The two basic ways to earn through your food blog are through paid advertising or through the sale of your product/service.
- Paid Advertising-It is further grouped into three;
- Affiliate Marketing: This is achievable when you join an affiliate marketing platform. You get a link and put this link on your post to mention an item or product. For everyone that gets to buy the products/services through your assigned link, you get paid a percentage or a fee.
- This is achieved when you work with other brands in your niche and enter into a form of sponsorship or partnership with them. It is a two-way street; you earn and also gain more visibility.
- Display Advertising: These are advertisements that appear as text, images, or videos when you search on websites in order to raise awareness about a product or service. Google Adsense is integrated into your blog and you get all of the cash after Google has deducted its management fee. Aside from Google, Media.net and Criteo are other advertisements serving platforms you can check for your display advertising.
- Sales of your products/services: You can make more cool money by just monetizing your culinary abilities. When you have your recipes explained in cookbooks and you put them up for sale on your website, when people buy, you earn. You can let your audience know that you offer consulting services and host cooking experiences with guests, and you will get money when you are called for any or both of them. Make sure to advertise yourself everywhere on your social media accounts for more traffic.
Here is a success story of a friend who owns a food blog. Read and get inspired.
Linda started her food blog at the same time we were university undergraduates. Cooking was and still is, so much fun for her. I know that much about her because we shared the same room at the university. I didn’t like to cook much, so I didn’t mind her taking over the kitchen, which she did very well.
Her love for cooking has inspired her to take pictures of the food she makes. She had a lot of the yummy dishes on her phone and she thought she could find a way to keep them safe. She started out by keeping them on Instagram.
During one of the school holidays, she gave me a call and told me about how she would soon start posting and publishing content on her blog. Yeah! She signed up for a blog and got herself a catchy name, “Yumyum Donuts”. All she does is write up recipe posts on how to make donuts.
Until she started her blog, I didn’t know that there were so many different ways of making donuts. Even until she started her blog, I didn’t know that there were so many different ways of making donuts. Even now, she hasn’t exhausted her recipes as she keeps adding more fun to them. I love donuts, so it wasn’t hard for her to get me addicted to her blog.
She sells her recipe ebooks and consults for some restaurants too, and gets paid for them. She also engages in paid advertisements, especially display advertisements and affiliate marketing.
She has done extremely well for herself as a food blog influencer to the rest of the world. Linda of Yummy Donuts welcomes you to the world.
I really hope that you are inspired to not procrastinate in starting your blog, but instead, you will put all of the tips above into good use and kickstart your food blog. I wish you the best.
Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.